The Wolves in the Clearing

I stood in the clearing naked
exposed flesh battered and bruised
In the reflection of the pond I saw only ugliness
Hair matted, haunted eyes, it was too much to bear
And so, I turned away
That is where you found me, naked and alone
Walking around in circles, avoiding my own reflection
I felt your hand slip into mine, and it fit so perfectly that I thought
they must have been made for one another and for all we knew, they were
And you didn't turn away
You cleaned my face, you dried my tears
You washed and brushed my hair
and over, and over again you told me that I was beautiful
You said it so much that I believed you
And I couldn't turn away
The outside world ceased to exist,
We didn't need food, or water, or air. We had perfection.
We were lost in the mystery of each other. Exploring, learning, loving.
We thought love was all we would ever need to keep the wolves at bay.
The wolves came anyway.
We faced them side by side at first, as companions, as lovers, as friends,
We kept fighting, and the wolves kept coming, and somehow we moved apart.
Then we found ourselves back to back
We both turned away.
Your now exposed flesh was battered, torn, and bruised.
You looked so much like I did when I first saw you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment